Annual Flavor Forecast reveals the hottest flavor trends for the year ahead
Flavor Forecast® 2017 – the go-to guide for trends and ingredients set to
excite taste buds around the world – was released by McCormick &
Company, Incorporated, a global leader in flavor.
has predicted emerging flavors – like chipotle chilies, coconut water and peri-peri
sauce – that are now found everywhere from restaurants to retail shelves and kitchen
"This year, the Flavor Forecast identifies cutting-edge flavors that help chefs,
tastemakers and home cooks refresh their menus," said McCormick Executive
Chef Kevan Vetter. "Discover a new all-purpose seasoning – Baharat. It's a
fragrant, Eastern Mediterranean blend of spices such as cumin, cardamom,
black pepper, nutmeg and more. Sprinkle over warm, seasonal soups, stir into
tomato-based sauces, or add to your favorite chicken dish."
Here are the five flavor trends the chefs, culinary professionals, trend trackers
and flavor experts at McCormick have identified for 2017:
- Rise & Shine to Global Tastes – Breakfast options with big, global
- flavors are being sought after by a generation of flavor adventurists not content
- with the same boring bowl. Try warm, sweet congee or a Middle Eastern-inspired
hash topped with a spicy skhug sauce.
- Taste It: Breakfast Hash with Skhug Sauce - Tender chickpeas, ground lamb
- or beef and roasted vegetables seasoned with a blend of coriander, cumin
- and fennel.
- Say It: Skhug [shug], this complex Middle Eastern hot sauce is made with
- Thai bird eye chilies, cumin, cardamom, coriander, garlic, parsley, cilantro,
- olive oil and lemon juice.
- Plancha: Flat-Out Grilling – Hailing from Spain, France's Basque region as well
- as Mexico, the plancha (a thick, flat slab of cast iron) is growing in popularity
- around the world for creating a sizzling, smoky sear and flavor crust. Grillers can
- easily use the plancha with meats, seafood and vegetables, paired with bold sauces,
- rubs and glazes.
- Taste It: Espelette Pepper-Rubbed Steak a la Plancha - a zesty,
- Mediterranean-herb rub enhances juicy steak grilled on a sizzling hot
Say It: Espelette [es-PE-let] pepper, originating from the Basque region
- of France, delivers a distinctively smoky, sweet and mildly hot flavor.
- Egg Yolks: The Sunny Side of Flavor – Egg yolks leave breakfast behind!
- Whether poached, fried or cured, chefs are pairing these indulgent golden gems
- with a range of
spices, herbs and sauces on lunch and dinner menus.
- Taste It: Mediterranean Vegetable Shakshuka - Sunny-side-up egg yolks
- simmered in a tomato and vegetable sauce make a rustic supper.
Say It: Shakshuka [shahk-SHOO-kah], flavored with a savory spice blend
- of smoked paprika, cumin, pepper, cayenne, turmeric and caraway.
- Modern Med – Discover the new cuisine for the 21st century - melding Eastern
- Mediterranean ingredients with Western European classics.
- Taste It: Persian Minestrone - Persian Ash-e reshteh meets Italian minestrone.
- Say It: Ash-e Reshteh [OSH-e-resh-tay], a thick, hearty soup made with
- beans, herbs, turmeric and flat noodles.
- Sweet on Pepper – Enter the new sweet heat. With an up-front bite and lingering
- sensation, peppercorns are finally capturing the spotlight. Their cedar and citrus notes
- pair perfectly with up-and-coming naturally sweet ingredients like dates and
- Taste It: Dragon Fruit & Strawberry "Poke" with Pepper Syrup - Fresh
- strawberry and diced dragon fruit salad atop a dollop of peppered whipped
- cream and crispy wontons.
- Say It: Poke [po-kay], create this unique take on Hawaiian poke salad with a
- drizzle of balsamic-pepper syrup.
About the McCormick Flavor ForecastSince 2000, the annual McCormick®
Flavor Forecast® has identified top trends and ingredients driving the future of flavor.
Each year, more than one hundred chefs, culinary professionals, trend trackers and
flavor experts from McCormick scour and track data, insights, products, cuisines,
recipes and restaurant menus around the globe to find what's next in flavor. The Flavor
Forecast is a must-have resource that inspires culinary hobbyists and professionals alike
to explore and innovate. Learn more at www.FlavorForecast.com.
McCormick & Company, Incorporated is a global leader in flavor. With $4.3 billion in
annual sales the company manufactures, markets and distributes spices, seasoning mixes,
condiments and other flavorful products to the entire food industry – retail outlets, food
manufacturers and foodservice businesses. Every day, no matter where or what you eat,
you can enjoy food flavored by McCormick. McCormick Brings Passion to Flavor™.
For more information, visit www.mccormickcorporation.com.
McCormick & Company, Inc.