Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Retro Recipe: Double-Quick Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Bread

This one-bowl coffee cake recipe is definitely worth reviving.

Double-Quick Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Bread
Coffee cake reminds me of my mom. She loves it! The evidence was in the tasty Saturday breakfasts I grew up eating, where she’d serve up thick slices of Sour Cream Coffee Cake or Cherry Swirl Coffee Cake on the regular. Another thing my mom loves, as do I, are vintage Betty Crocker cookbooks. I find them tucked under the Christmas tree, in spontaneous packages on my porch and in my mom’s suitcase when she visits. They are treasures! Not only are the recipes tried and true, but they’re full of the best illustrations (one of which I loved enough to get tattooed on my arms!).
While perusing Betty Crocker’s New Good and Easy Cook Book, I stumbled across this recipe for Double-Quick Coffee Bread and knew I needed to make it soon. Unlike other crumb-like coffee cakes, this recipe is more like monkey bread’s cousin, but instead of relying on pre-made biscuits, its base is homemade. After making the recipe a couple times, I’m completely hooked! I can’t wait to send this recipe to my mom, and to make it again (and again). 
This method is simple, and, as an extra bonus, it’s all done in just one bowl. Start by stirring the bread ingredients together with a wooden spoon. (You can use an electric mixer too, if you’d prefer.)

 (0)
 
0
Prep Time:
15 min

Total Time:
1 hr 50 min

Servings:
8

Ingredients

  • Cinnamon Streusel Topping

    • 1/2cup chopped nuts
    • 1/3cup granulated sugar or packed brown sugar
    • 2tablespoons Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
    • 2teaspoons ground cinnamon
    • 2tablespoons butter, softened
  • Coffee Bread

    • 1package active dry yeast
    • 3/4cup warm water (105°F to 115°F)
    • 1/4cup granulated sugar
    • 1teaspoon salt
    • 2 1/4cups sifted Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
    • 1/4cup butter, softened
    • 1egg

Directions

  • 1Spray 8- or 9-inch square pan with cooking spray. In small bowl, stir together or rub Cinnamon Streusel Topping ingredients; set aside.
  • 2In large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1/4 cup sugar, the salt and 1 cup of the flour; beat thoroughly 2 minutes. Add 1/4 cup butter and the egg; gradually beat in remaining flour until smooth.
  • 3Drop small spoonfuls of dough over entire bottom of pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon streusel topping. Cover; let rise in warm place 50 to 60 minutes or until doubled in size.
  • 4Heat oven to 375°F. Uncover dough. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until brown. Immediately turn bread out of pan onto serving dish. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

id="blogfeeds"><$BlogFeedsVertical$>

id="postfeeds"><$BlogItemFeedLinks$>