Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Tomato Pesto Grilled Cheese


There used to be a little café where I live that was only open for lunch. I rarely get to get out for lunch, especially to a place that doesn't have golden arches, so when the opportunity arises I jump at the chance. On one fine afternoon, a long, long, long time ago, I had the opportunity to step out for this little indulgence of "going out for lunch" and I decided I had to try out this bistro. Mostly sandwiches and salads were on the menu and as soon as I read the description of their Grilled Cheese sandwich I knew I was in love.
Thick cut slices of sourdough stuffed with 3 kinds of cheese, fresh tomato and pesto and brushed with garlic butter and grilled to a crispy golden brown. It was more than a sandwich, it was a food experience of epic proportions. I've since re-created this little masterpiece in my own kitchen on numerous occasions and every time I bite into it I can pretend I'm sitting in that cute little bistro watching the world go by, it's a nice break in the day from the routine of a stay-at-home mom.
I have experimented a few times with different cheese combinations, different breads and even different cooking methods. This combination is my favourite, try experimenting and find yours. Let's put the grilled and the cheese back into our favourite melty sandwich!
Tomato Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich
2 slices thick cut bread (I used a chewy sourdough)
2 oz. shredded fontina
1 oz. shredded smoked gouda
1 oz. or 1 slice swiss
4 slices tomato (I usually use heirloom, but this time I used a Baka Brown)
1 tbsp. basil pesto (homemade, but jarred is fine too)
2 tbsp. garlic butter
Instructions:
1. Heat your BBQ/grill, setting your knobs to medium or a temperature of 350-400˚F
2. Spread one side of each of the pieces of bread with the garlic butter. Place the bread buttered side down. Grill until golden.
3. Spread the other side of the pieces of bread and place buttered side down and grill.
4. Layer on the swiss and fontina.
5. Place slices of tomato on top of the cheese and spread or dollop on the pesto.
6. Top with the gouda and place another slice of bread on top grilled side down.
7. Grill over medium heat on each side until golden. If the cheese isn't fully melted turn off the heat and leave on the grill with the cover closed until the desired meltiness has been achieved!

No comments:

Post a Comment

id="blogfeeds"><$BlogFeedsVertical$>

id="postfeeds"><$BlogItemFeedLinks$>